- [S106] 1881 British Census and National Index, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, (1999 (CD-ROM), 2002 (Website - www.familysearch.org);), RG 11/258 f.25 p.43 (Reliability: 3).
10 Gillespie Terrace, London, Middlesex
John Seymour Lansdell, Head, M, 30, Lamp Lighter (GN Rail), Horsmonden Kent
Mary Jane Lansdell, Wife, M, 22, Luton Bedfordshire
Emily Ellen Jane Lansdell, Daur, 2, Islington Middlesex
William John Lansdell, Son, 2m, Islington Middlesex
Elizabeth Turner, Wife, M, 48, Charwoman, Islington Middlesex
- [S107] 1891 Census Returns of England and Wales, General Register Office, (5 April 1891;), RG 12/1109 f.8 p.10 (Reliability: 3).
Aston, Hertford - Village (4 rooms)
Thomas Aylott, Head, M, 67, Shoemaker, Neither Employer nor Employed, Herts Walkern
Ann N. Aylott, Wife, M, 67, Herts Hitchin
William J. Lansdell, Nephew, 10, Scholar, Middlesex Finsbury Park
Edward G. Wilsmore, Boarder, S, 24, Police Constable, Employed, Essex Great Wigborough
- [S108] 1901 Census Returns of England and Wales, General Register Office, (31 March 1901;), RG 13., RG 13/5330 f.4 and f.11 p.14 (Reliability: 3).
His Majesty's Ship "Phoenix", Sloop, Commander William H. Nicholson, China, Sinho, Peiho River, North China
List of the Officers, Crew, Royal Marines and of all other person in North West Fort, Taku on the night of Sunday, March 31st, 1901
William J Lansdell, Member of Garrison, Single, 20, Private, R.M.L.I., Finsbury Park, London, Nil
- [S373] Royal Marines Service Records, The National Archives, ADM 159/17 (Reliability: 3).
William John Lansdell; Service No.10259; Date of birth: 30 Jan 1881; Birthplace: Finsbury Park, London; Trade: Porter * Clerk Midland R'l'y; Religion: 25.8.02 Church of England [crossed out] Wesleyan; Enlisted: 5 April 1899, Nottingham [age] 18.2 7/30; Next of kin: MJ Jane, Ivy House, Mare St, Hackney, London [address crossed out] Address as below - 29 High St, Melton Mowbray; On enlistment: 5ft 6 9/10 in; fresh complexion, dark brown hair, hazel eyes, scars on right eyebrow, back of head and inside right knee; On final discharge: Same, except 5ft 8 1/2 in; Able to swim; Awarded China Medal 1900; Wounds: China Grant 1900 paid; Served on Terrible; Phoenix for NW Fort Taku; Glory for Weihei Wei; Goliath; Discharged: 5 Nov 03 Paid £70
- [S96] Canadian Expeditionary Force Service Records, (www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/cef/index-e.html;), Lansdell, William John, 629820, RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 5386 - 25, attestation papers (Reliability: 3).
- [S114] Debt of Honour Register, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, (www.cwgc.org;).
commemorating William John Lansdell, Private, 7th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment); date of death: 15/08/1917; service no.629820; listed on the Canadian National Vimy Memorial Monument, Pas de Calais, France
- [S97] Canadian Expeditionary Force War Diaries, Library and Archives Canada, (www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html;), 7th Battalion, Canadian Infantry, August 1917, pp.34-41 (Reliability: 2).
The war diaries do not mention William Lansdell by name, but they place the 7th Battalion of the Canadian Infanty at the Battle of Hill 70 on 15 August 1917. There were many casualties - of 639 other ranks, 429 were killed, missing or wounded during three days of fighting.
See Wikipedia for further information about the Battle of Hill 70.
- [S113] Civil Registration Marriage Indexes, General Register Office, (1837-;), marriages of John Seymour Lansdell and Mary Jane Bennett share reference Islington 1b 338, June quarter 1878 (Reliability: 3).