- [S7] London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, Ancestry.com, (online database linked to digital images of records from the London Metropolitan Archives and Guildhall Library, 2009;).
Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of St George the Martyr in the County of Middlesex in the Year 1872. No.740. Decr 24 Born Novr 18, Edward Howard, Howard & Jane, Marsh, 38 Guildford St., Surgeon, Edwin Price[?], Curate.
- [S105] 1881 Census Returns of England and Wales, General Register Office, (3 April 1881;), RG 11., RG 11/93 f.69 p.1 (Reliability: 3).
36 Bruton St, St George, Hanover sq, Westminster
Howard Marsh, Head, Mar, 41, Surgeon, Suffolk Homersfield
Jane Marsh, Wife, Mar, 46, Surgeon's Wife, Middlesex, St James'
Edward Marsh, Son, 8, Scholar, Middlesex, Bloomsbury
Margaret Marsh, Daur, 6, Middlesex, St George Hanover Sq.
Lydia Emmerson, Serv., Unm., 47, Cook Dom. Serv., Norfolk, Ryburgh
Sarah Wilson, Serv., Unm., 24, Housemaid Dom. Serv., Norfolk, Wymondham
Ellen Clarke, Serv., Unm., 19, Nurse Dom. Serv., Devonshire, Torrington
- [S36] Alumni Cantabrigienses, John and J.A. Venn, (London: Cambridge University Press 1922-1954. Converted into an electronic database by Ancestry.com;).
Name: Edward Howard. Marsh; College: TRINITY; Entered: Michs. 1891; More Information: Adm. pens. at TRINITY, June 15, 1891. [Only] s. of Howard, F.R.C.S. [subsequently Master of Downing College], of 30, Bruton Street, London. B. [Nov. 18], 1872, in London. School, Westminster. Matric. Michs. 1891; Scholar; (Class. Trip. Pt I, 1st Class, 1893; Class Trip., Pt. II, 1st Class, 1895); Chancellor's medal, 1895; B.A. 1895; M.A. 1898. Second Class Clerk in the Colonial Office, 1896. Assistant Private Secretary to Mr Chamberlain, 1900; to Mr Lyttelton, 1903. First Class Clerk, 1905, and Private Secretary to Mr Churchill, 1907-15. Assistant Private Secretary to Mr Asquith, 1915-16. Private Secretary to Mr Churchill, 1917-22 and 1924-9; to the Duke of Devonshire, 1922-4; to Mr J. H. Thomas, 1924, and 1929-36; to Mr Malcolm Macdonald, 1936-7; retired 1937. A Trustee of the Tate Gallery, 1937-44. Chairman of the Contemporary Art Society. C.M.G., 1908; C.B., 1918; C.V.O., 1922; K.C.V.O., 1937. Author, Memoir of Rupert Brooke; Fables of La Fontaine; A Number of People; Odes of Horace. Of Dene House, Boar's Hill, Oxford, in 1947. (Kelly, Handbook; Who's Who; Who's Who in Art.)
- [S107] 1891 Census Returns of England and Wales, General Register Office, (5 April 1891;), RG 12/68 ff.97-98 pp.52-53 (Reliability: 3).
30 Bruton St, St George, London
Howard Marsh, Head, M, 51, Surgeon FRCS, Homersfield Suffolk
Jane Marsh, Wife, 56, St James Piccadilly
Edward H. Marsh, Son, S, 18, Scholar, St George Bloomsbury London
Agatha Ward, Servt, S, 24, Cook Domestic Servt, St James London
Eliza M. Sharpe, Servt, S, 31, Parlourmaid Domestic Servt, Worcester
Ada V. Hudson, Servt, S, 22, Housemaid Domestic Servt, St Martins Worcester
Elizabeth A. Tavey[?], S, 19, Housemaid Domestic Servt, Curridge Berkshire
- [S410] Visitation of England and Wales, Joseph Jackson Howard and Frederick Arthur Crisp, (Volumes I, III-XIV, privately printed, 1893-1906, scanned original pages on www.ancestry.co.uk, 2002;), vol.VI, pp.89-96 (Reliability: 2).
- [S9] London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, Ancestry.com, (online database linked to digital images of records from the London Metropolitan Archives and Guildhall Library, 2009;).
1870. Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of St George the Martyr in the County of Middlesex. No.495. 25th August 1870. Frederick Howard Marsh, 30, Bachelor, Surgeon, 4 Furnivals Inn, father: Edward Brunning Marsh, Farmer; & Jane Perceval, 35, Spinster, 19 Queen Square, father: Spencer Perceval, Gentleman. Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by Licence by me, Henry Whitehead. This Marriage was solemnized between us, Frederick Howard Marsh, Jane Perceval, in the Presence of us, Jane Beatrice Perceval, Spencer Perceval, John Langton.